If you have been reading my post you may think I have it in for those with diabetes> That Is not true but diabetes is increasing at an epidemic rate and it is probably the easiest of the chronic diseases to turn around. As I said yesterday; it has been proven that in most cases, type 2 diabetes can be reversed by the use of diet and exercise. What is so great about this is that when we reverse our diabetes; we can improve or reverse most of our other chronic health conditions at the same time. When we switch to a healthy lifestyle; we improve our whole life, not just one area of it. That is good; most people who have one chronic condition usually also have other health problems as well. Those with diabetes can also suffer from a host of complications such as………………………………….
- Heart Disease – People with diabetes have a higher risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Eye Complications – People with diabetes have a higher risk of blindness and other vision problems.
- Kidney Disease – Diabetes can damage the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure.
- Nerve Damage (neuropathy) – Diabetes can cause damage to the nerves that run through the body.
- Foot Problems – Nerve damage, infections of the feet, and problems with blood flow to the feet can be caused by diabetes.
- Skin Complications – Diabetes can cause skin problems, such as infections, sores, and itching. Skin problems are sometimes a first sign that someone has diabetes.
- Dental Disease – Diabetes can lead to problems with teeth and gums, called gingivitis and periodontitis. This information provided by the New York State Department of Health.
There is good news and there is bad news. Starting in 2014 Obama Care will force insurance companies to insure those with diabetes and they will be prohibited from charging them more because because of their poor health. This is certainly good news for those with diabetes but not for those who aren’t and for the country as a whole; it is bad news. I want to give you a link to The Rising Price Of Diabetes so we can see how rapidly the cost of treating those with diabetes has increased in just a few years so you can see for yourself that this is not sustainable. When all diabetic are covered by health insurance and the rate of diabetes continues to rise at the rate it has been rising in the last ten years everyone’s insurance costs will double, triple or worse in a very short time. This will bankrupt this country.
The only solution as I see it; is for everyone to take responsibility for their own health and live a healthy lifestyle. As the healthcare system collapses from being required to treat all those who will not take responsibility; the only thing we who are responsible can do is be as healthy as we can possibly be so we don’t have to rely on the overwhelmed system to survive. What happens twenty years from now when we have too few doctors and too little money to pay the ones remaining enough to cover their expenses. This is actually happening now with Medicare and Medicaid.
I know for some of you I am preaching to the choir but for others of you it is my hope that I can make a small difference in the way you think about health and healthcare. We are in this together; we don’t live in a vacuum, what I do and what you do affects us all. The information we need to be healthy is available for those who want it, I just pray we use it before it is too late.
Thanks for visiting, you are always welcome here. May you and yours have a healthy and happy day. David Johnson